Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Adversity Introduces A Man To Himself

Adversity Introduces a Man to Himself
By Kimberly

It has been said: A path without obstacles probably leads a man to nowhere. As for my life I believe this to be true.

As a young child I was diagnosed with diabetes and Placed on injections. The first thing I asked my parent was: do I get to go to camp UTADA, a camp for diabetics. My older sister had been and I wanted to go too. So two weeks after being diagnosed we headed of to camp together. I didn’t understand this would be a beginning of a new life. I spent several years at camp as a camper, staff member, and a camp counselor. This brought me great opportunities and memories. I also applied and was chosen to go to Youth Leadership Congress as a delegate for the Utah chapter for the American Diabetes Association. This gave me the opportunity to discuss several bills with congressmen and learn more about diabetes as well as make new friends from all over the United States.

In my early twenties I was diagnosed with Diabetic Retinopathy. I began to lose my vision. In a short time I went through nine laser surgeries. During that time I decided to return to school at Weber State University. There I became involved with the Students with Disabilities Office and the AWARE Club. I was given some great opportunities again. I served as the president of the AWARE and the Senator for Students with Disabilities. This gave me a great experiences and I was able to learn more about leadership.

Later I returned to the work force doing a job I enjoyed and loved very much. I was disappointed when I was told I needed to get off my feet due to problems. I was told if I didn’t get of my feet I could be in a wheel chair in fiver years or possibly amputation was another option. The Dr. stated it was just a matter of time. I contacted Low Vision Services to get their assistance. Once again, opportunities arose. They talked to me about attending the B.O.O.S.T.

B.O.O.S.T. has given me so much.. I learned computer skills, Customer Service Skills, and to use flexibility between technical skills and people skills, Problem solving which has helped me so much already. I have also learned about Quality in a company, teamwork, motivation, interviewing Techniques and the list goes on. David Salazar has taught me both about technical skills and personal skills through his example such as maintaining a positive attitude.

The Song Like An Eagle, by Carl Stromman helps to express my feelings about B.O.O.S.T.

Now is the time
To follow the wind
To walk alone

And a star will show the way
Above the clouds
Beyond the sea

And now is the time
And now and farewell
And as we part

You taught me well
You gave me strength
You showed the way
I'll not forget you

Like an eagle I will soar above the clouds
I will spread my wings and fly into the sun
Like an eagle I will race above the stars

I will fly to places yet unseen
Go beyond my wildest dreams
Know that you are watching over me

And all alone
I will follow the stars above
As my guide

As my guide
I trust in you
To show the way to me
Beyond the sea

And now is the time
And now and farewell
And as we part

You taught me well
You gave me strength
You showed the way
I'll not forget you

Like an eagle I will race above the stars
I will spread my wings and fly into the sun
Like an eagle I will race above the stars

I will fly to places yet unseen
Go beyond my wildest dreams
Know that you are watching over me

Alone, I can fly with the eagle to the mountain high
Race with the eagle so far beyond my dreams
Like an eagle I will fly

Like an eagle I will race above the stars
I will spread my wings and fly into the sun
Like an eagle I will soar above the clouds

I will fly to places yet unseen
Go beyond my wildest dreams
Know that you are watching over me

Like and eagle I will race above the stars
Like an eagle I will fly
Like an eagle I will fly

I'm gonna fly the highest mountain
(Fly)
Fly above the clouds
Like an eagle I will fly

B.O.O.S.T., You taught me well. You gave me strength you showed the way. I will not forget you. I would like to thank Novus for sponsoring the program. Kathy Roberts for allowing us to be here at Lake Park. Debbie Inkley for her inspiration, and starting the program. Karen Whales for coordinating B.O.O.S.T. with those out in our Community. Also, David Salazar for his time, effort. Patience and sharing his knowledge. Thanks to our dedicated tutors: Jenny Easy, and Joanne. I would like to thank my classmates who have helped make this experience a positive one for me.

As seen from my experience with B.O.O.S.T. another obstacle has created and opportunity. I hope we can leave here feeling we can fly with the eagle and keep in mind that adversity introduces a man to himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home